Hello Saturday, I love you.
I have been craving this day like a cup of coffee when my alarm goes off at 6:30 am on a Monday morning. Like water after a 6 mile run. Like french fries after eating salads for a week straight. Like peanut butter…every day. Like sleep after five days in Vegas.
OK, you get the point. But I’m really so happy it’s Saturday!
I don’t know about you but my breakfasts are always so rushed during the week and I look forward to the weekends when I can actually spend some time making a delicious breakfast. When I can actually sit down and enjoy every bite, rather than having to scarf it down, chug a cup of coffee and run out the door with coffee dripping down my shirt and spinach from my eggs stuck in my teeth as I try and juggle my gym bag, laptop bag, purse, lunch bag and coffee mug all at the same time. Then realizing I don’t have my keys, and they’re not where I usually put them on the counter and they’re not in my purse so where are they?! Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem in the morning? There’s nothing like the Valet guy at work telling you as you get out of your car that you have something stuck in your teeth and having to quickly come up with a whitty reponse like ” just savin’ it for later”. Yes, this happened to me this past week and it was super awkward. But definitely not as awkward as your skirt flying up right in front of all the valet guys when it’s laundry day and all you have left is a pair of underwear with ducks on them…
Regardless. It is Saturday! And finally there’s not a cloud in the sky and the temperature will be in the high 70’s. I really thought the rain would never stop this week. And what a better way to welcome a gorgeous weekend than to start it off with some lemon ricotta pancakes with a fresh blueberry sauce. The ricotta adds a fluffiness to the pancakes and the lemon adds a refreshing bite that makes them the perfect breakfast on a Saturday morning that doesn’t leave you feeling weighed down and dreading the next time you have to put a bikini on. And the fresh blueberry sauce brings all of the flavors together. Hey, it may not be my Nutella sauce, but it will sure leave you feeling satisfied, refreshed, and ready to take on this gorgeous day. And the best part? It won’t leave spinach in your teeth!
Blueberry and Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Fresh Blueberry Sauce
To make the blueberry sauce:
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons flour (or cornstarch)
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1. In a small bowl combine the lemon juice and flour and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the blueberries, sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and stir in lemon juice and flour mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens slightly. Cover and set aside.
To make the pancakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (around 4 lemons)
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (I used the zest of one lemon)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together ricotta cheese, egg, egg whites, lemon juice, lemon zest, and canola oil. Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients until flour disappears. The batter will be thick.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Drop about 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot griddle or skillet. Cook the pancakes until bottoms begin to turn brown about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the pancakes on the other side, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes . Continue making pancakes until batter is gone. Stack and top with blueberry sauce.
Adapted from: Noble Pig